The main functions of the department are:
- Collection removal and disposal of solid wastes including filth, rubbish and other obnoxious/ polluted matters and garbage.
- Removal and disposal of the unclaimed dead bodies and carcasses of all dead animals.
- Disposal of solid and liquid wastes consistent with efforts to cause recovery and re- use of all that can be salvaged.
- Cleansing of public streets and other public places.
- Construction, maintenance and cleansing of sewers and drains, sewerage and drainage works.
- Construction, maintenance and cleansing of public latrines, urinals and similar conveniences.
- Conversation of all service privies into sanitary latrines and providing adequate facilities for sanitation so that open defecation may be completely done away with.